The work of a criminal defence lawyer is challenging. A successful trial lawyer requires an understanding of the law and the skill of a consummate storyteller. For over thirty years, Patrick Ducharme has been providing effective, informed, creative, and successful legal representation to his clients in a wide range of difficult and high-profile cases.
Patrick’s innovative courtroom techniques and strategies have long been recognized by his colleagues in the profession. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations of America. Fellowship is by special invitation only. It is a distinction bestowed upon exceptional trial lawyers in the United States and Canada whose advocacy and standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality are models to be emulated by the lawyers of North America. He has also been selected by his peers to be included in Woodward and White’s Best Lawyers in Canada.
Articles by Patrick Ducharme
The following is a small sample of the articles written by Patrick Ducharme.
- The Art and Plan of Cross-Examination
- The Art of the In-Trial Objection
- Developing a Trial Persona
- The Forty-Five-Minute Criminal Lawyer
- Co-operation as Mitigating Factor at Sentence
– 6-Minute Defence Lawyer
- Strategies for the Media
- Overview of the Jury Selection Process
- Evidentiary Issues Relating To Hearsay Statements, etc.
- The Co-conspirators Exception to the Hearsay Rule
- The Crowns’ Disclosure Obligations Regarding Lost or Damaged Evidence
- After Heideman: Redefining Evidence to the Contrary
- Understanding Section 8: Search, Seizure and the Canadian Constitution
- Evidentiary Issues In Drug Cases
- Legislative Update – The Get Tough on Crime Agenda
- Safe Streets and Communities Act – The Omnibus Anti-Crime Package
- The Paper Chase: Subsections 540 -(7)-(9) of the Criminal Code
On Current Events
Hundreds of articles about Patrick Ducharme can be found by searching various newspapers such as The Windsor Star, The Toronto Star, The Detroit Free Press, and other newspapers across Canada and the USA.
Click here for a small sample.
- Criminal Practice and Procedure – 2018 (delayed to include new material on legalized marihuana)
- Canadian Criminal Trial Advocacy – 2018
- Criminal Practice and Procedure – 2017
- Canadian Criminal Trial Advocacy – 2016
- Criminal Procedure and Practice – 2016
- Canadian Criminal Trial Advocacy – 2015
- Canadian Criminal Procedure – 2015